Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Child suffering with portal hypertension, enlarged spleen, frequent blood in vomiting. Is this curable?

Hello Dear Doctor, i am Atiq from pakistan. My 10 year old daughter is suffering from portal hypertension as consequence of portal vein thrombosis partialy obstructing the vein. Spleen is enlarged messuring 166 mm. WBC count is 3700, RBC count is 4.52 Hemoglobin is 11.0 Platelets are 0000. (Hbc, HCv Neg.) Blood containing Vomiting in Nov-2009(1 Episode) adn sclerotheropy done grade III Varices. In Dec-2012 another episode of Blood containg vomiting(1 Episode). Doctor has advised Tab Inderol 10 mg 1xb.d. only. is there any treatment for this disease available please help. what should we do.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  87
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

The only curative treatment for your young daughter is a liver transplant. All other procedures are just palliative.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Sun, 26 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor