Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child suffering with fever after traveling through a dengue affected area, has mild rashes, reddish eyes. Dengue?

Hello Doctor, My kid is 3 year old. He had recently travelled to a dengue affected district in south india and back this week. Since Last saturday he has got fever ranging between 100 to 101. Fever is not very high. We did a blood test and his platelet count on last Monday was 0000 and today we found few mild rashes on the back and reddish eye (one eye only). We did a platelet test and found its 0000. Doctor says not to worry. We are worried if its Dengue. Please advise if this is a good or bad symptom.
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

First relax. Do not get over worried.
Today is 3 rd day of fever. Since you say he has rash etc, it may be Dengue/ any other viral illness.
In dengue platelets start decreasing only after the fever subsides and other complications too happen only after the fever subsides that usually happens after 4 to 5 days or so.
If your child can communicate, ask him if he has headache/ eye ache/ severe muscle aches/ pain in tummy. These may favour the diagnosis of dengue.
There is a test called NS1 antigen test which is used to diagnose Dengue early than any other tests.
In complete blood count usually dengue cases have low total white blood cell count. This low WBC count or Total leukocyte count also favours dengue.
And all cases of dengue are not serious. Even the serious ones if managed well do not end up in problems. So relax, approach your doctor for NS 1 antigen test, give adequate fluids and rest to your kid, keep a close watch on his health.
Wish a speedy recovery for your kid.
Answered: Mon, 5 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor