Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Child suffering with epilepsy since birth, no improvements with several medicines. What should be done?

Dear DR Sanchetee, My son is suffering for epiliepsy from last 12 year (by birth) I have shown to 7-8 doctors,as on date doctor has tried Tegtrol,revetril, frisium ,topamac,lamtac,levipil & Now new doctor suggested Encorate Chrono 200 but fit not yet controled only levipil extended the fit for 3 years period. Kindly suggest what can I do now? thanks, Narendra 0000
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Hi Mr Narendra,
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

I can understand the anxiety as parents, when your child's fits are not controlled for so long.
For good seizure control, appropriate medications in correct dose are required, however, with this also, 20-30% cases do not have good control of fits.

In these cases, epilepsy surgery may be beneficial.
You may contact one of the good epilepsy centres for evaluation and management.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior consultant neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
It is sad to hear the child's problem.
Nowadays Medicine has advanced well / One can measure the drug levels and ensure compliance and so on.
Even surgery is an option for intractable epilepsy -
There are super-specialities / specialists - PAEDIATRIC NEUROLOGISTs (Specialist in children's nerve diseases). There are also sub-speciality experts in Neurology - example neurologists specialised in Epilepsy. You should find out one at or near your city and seek his help. Medical Colleges with associated teaching hospitals will generally have the facility
Take care
Wishing for speedy recovery
Good luck
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor