Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from scarlet fever. Spot on nipple. On penicillin. Cure with medicine?

hi my daughter is 5 and i took her to the docters on thurs and she said she had been suffering from scarlette fever , as her tounge was a tell tale sign and she had been unwell , high tem pluss lump on really sore cracked lips , although she has been suffering from this for a few weeks , nurse noticed small spot on her nipple when checking her breathing and said it was all to do with the same thing , she has also had a bad cough for 3 weeks which has subsided! she is on penacilin but the spot on her nipple has became noticably bigger n looks like there is alot more puss inside, shud i be taking her back to the docs or will the medicine she is on take care of things , thanks
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
If the lesion is pus filled and tender ,not decreasing in size with treatment then you need to consult your doctor.
You can apply a mupirocin intment over the area for a few days.
She might need incision and drainage of the pus.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response
Children with scarlet fever present with characteristic clinical features like sore throat, cough, fever with erythematous rashes (sand paper like) over the body including face, strawberry tounge and cracked sore lips. Localised reddened raised lesion with suspected pus inside indicates some cellulitis (mastitis),which is different fromthe usual rash of scarlet fever. Although she is getting antibiotic, a clinical evaluation is needed to exclude any abscess which may need incision and drainage.
So I would suggest you to consult your doctor for examination and to rule out evolving abscess.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor