Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child smoking cannabis regularly. Will I become retarded?

hello im nearly 18 and ive smoked cannabis since the age of 11 but i didnt smoke it that much then just a few puffs here and ther but since i was 14 ive smoked a gram a day and much more on the weekends and now it has become a huge problem for me to give up so can you tell me how many brain cells ive proboly killed and if i carry on will i become retarded ?? thanks for help
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. I believe that there are long term or chronic effects of having smoked marijuana. There are case reports of mental retardation as well as other mental illnesses like acute transient psychotic episode, that could lead on to a full blown psychosis if untreated. I also believe that you need to consult a psychiatrist as soon as possible to get off of the marijuana, as there is still some chance you could function normally in the world if you get into rehab treatment as soon as possible.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor