Child prescribed Ganciclovir for premature baby with enlarged liver. Alternative treatment?

My baby girl was born 50 days pre-mature by normal delivery.Now she is 6 months old. Her weight is 3.8 kgs and she developed symptoms of enlarged liver and spleen .CMV-PCR test through Urine is positive. Doctor has prescribed ganciclovir IV for 2 weeks at 5mg/kg per dose every 12 hours. I have read that Ganciclovir is toxic in nature and can have serious side-effects.More-over its usage in pediatric treatment is not guaranteed. Is there any alternative treatment?
Tue, 18 Sep 2012
Ganciclovir is the drug of first choice. Other drugs are less effective. There is no drug without adverse effects. Let the doctors treat the baby. Pray and hope for the best.