Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Child poked eye with umbrella, has patch, painful. Should she see a doctor?

My 5 year old granddaughter poked her eye with the tines of an umbrella. Her mom took her to urgent care and then to an optometrist. She has a pretty good corneal scratch , no abruption and he put a rather large patch on her eye. Should she see an opthamologist? does she need antibiotic drops? My poor baby! She hurting!
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
It seems from the history that your grand daughter had injury to the eye leading to corneal scratch.
Corneal scratch indicates corneal epithelial defect. Corneal epitehlial defect is very painful condition and it may get sometimes get infected, hence it requires appropriate treatment. The treatment is by antibiotic eye drops or eye ointment along with lubricating gels.
Eye patch is helpful to reduce pain, but patch should be used in cases where the corneal epithelial defect is infected. This would be determined by a ophthalmologist, hence please do consult eye doctor .
Thank you
Answered: Fri, 9 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor