Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Child passing stool continuously, yellow color, foul smell, sore bottom. Normal?

My 10 month old baby has been pretty much constantly pooing over last few days, the poo is really runny and a horrible yellow colour and smell really nasty. He is also getting a really sore bottom because of the horrid poo. Should I be taking him to the doctor for medicine to stop the poo or is this normal and will it just pass on its own. My baby doesn t seem particularly poorly in himself, he isn t happy because of the sore bottom and I guess he may have tummy ache when he is pooing but other than that he seems ok.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

Frequent passage of watery stools is not a good sign. I suggest that you consult your doctor and get a stool examination done. In the interim ensure that he is well hydrated by giviing him plenty of oral fluids in the form of lemonade, buttermilk, etc. Avoid giving him fruits and juices as long as he is having loose motions.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.


Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your child is having Gastroenteritis and because of frequent loose stools he got nappy rash.
And your child requires medication for diarrhea like probiotic, oral rehydrating solutions and zinc supplementation.
You should give sips of oral rehydrating solution to replace the losses of water and electrolytes in stools and to prevent dehydration.
For sore bottom, gently clean after stool passage, allow it to dry, change diapers frequently and you can apply zinc oxide containig cream.
Consult your Pediatrician for assessment and examination and for medication.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor