Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Child is lean by birth. How to increase birth?

hi , I have two kids.elder baby is girl. She is healthy..she is 5.6 old and now she is 23kg. My second baby is son. HE is 3.6y old. He is very learn by birth. he is still 11 kg only. Could you please adivse us what makes my son putup on some weight and healthy...He is not at all interested in eating. always he will ahve choclates.If i will try to feed Rice , he will take very less. even chapathis also. advise us
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi Mrs. Jaya,
Thanks for opting to post your queries and giving us this opportunity to answer your doubts.
Well, ideally for your sons age, he should weigh atleast 15 kg. But this depends on many factors like :
1) His birth weight : If he had a low birth weight, generally such babies are always low weight.
2) Family history : If you or your husband also have a lean body structure, its very possible that your son also will have the same physique.
3) Recurrent infections : If your son gets repeated infections and his immunity is inherently low and needs to be hospitalized frequently, then he will not catch up on his weight.
4) Is there weight loss or has he never gained weight?
5) Is there weight stagnancy or he is gaining weight but at a slower rate?

Well, Mrs. Jaya, there are many more such questions regarding low weight that will help us reach to a conclusion as to how serious is the weight loss. Besides I also gather from your information, that he is very active and also wants to eat chocolates. Well, let me tell you, chocolates are very filling. Stop his chocolates and all kinds of junk food he might be eating. Probably thats the reason why he doesnt feel hungry at meal times. Make him sit with the family on the same table and make him eat the same food that the rest of the family members will eat.

Anyways, the important thing is that even if he looks lean, he is healthy. Keep a watch on his growth in height. he has to be around 100cm by 4 to 41/2 years. If he is gaining in height also, we are happy.

I hope I have been successful in clarifying all your doubts. Do take care and stay healthy.
Answered: Sun, 20 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Hi Jaya,
Thanks for writing your query.

Children love junk food more than healthier foods. You should have some patience while feeding them.
Try to make them understand the importance of healthier eating habbits. Gradually they will adopt to chappatis and other healthy foods.

Children love to eat a food which appeals to their eyes. So make it more presentable.
Also try to make variety of dishes from chappatis and rice like from rice you can make idli or dosa or vadai. Instead of chappatis you can sometimes give them puri or paranthas with a cartoon face made on it by the help of tomato sauce or butter. I hope your child will love eating it.

Also, install in them the habbit of eating a fruit daily. They should also drink adequate amount of pure water daily

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Sun, 20 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor