Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child hurt head, swelling on skull, tender, headache, no nausea or vomiting. Should I go to ER?

My 7yr old son went to do a back dive into the pool when I wasn t looking and landed on the back part of his head, the base of his skull 1st then his body. He has swelling on the left side back bottom side of his skull and tender to touch. He hasn t complained of a headache only that his head/neck hurt to move it. Pupils are fine, eyes follow the light just fine. No nausea or vomiting . I m not sure if I should take him to the ER or see how he does throughout the night into the morning. We ve been icing it and I gave him ibprofen.
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
The swelling most probably is a external hematoma what one would be worried about is any internal bleed.So watch out for warning signs like vomiting ,abnormal behaviour,abnormal movements in the form of fits in the next 24hrs.If these warning signs appear kindly reach your ER as soon as possible .If not then take an appointment with your pediatrician for further management next morning.

Take Care.
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query.
There is hematoma formation at injury site and it will settle in few days.
This is good that you have done icing and given ibuprofen for pain relief.
Continue with it.
Most important is to monitor warning signs like vomiting/loss of consciousness/any abnormal behavior/any bleeding from ear or nose.
In case you find any take him to ER.

wishing your child good health.
God bless.
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor