Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Child hit head, swelling, no bleeding. What do I need to look for?

It is about my son...he is 5 and fell from bed and hit his head on the cherry wood bed frame really hard...It appears not to have broke the skin...I put ice on it and I don t see noticeable swelling ...however he hit low on the back of the head/ neck area...I had him stand and turn his head both ways and up and down...but what do I need to look for? He s not crying, not bleeding but doesn;t want to sit up and looks like he is trying to pop his jaw ??
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hello there,
A case of head injury always arouses considerable anxiety in parents and rightfully so. There may not be any external injury or mark but internal bleed is a possibility. You need to monitor his level of consciousness and observe for any vomiting episode or headache. If he progressively becomes drowsy or is unable to stay awake or is difficult to awaken, then you must hospitalize him and get him evaluated with a CT scan of head. In any case the first 24 to 48 hours are reserved for careful observation for any of the above symptoms.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response
Thanks for the query
If trauma is associated with loss of consciousness that is uncertain or very brief( few seconds only), irritability( now resolved), behavioral changes if any, scalp hematoma( particularly nonfrontal), the risk of clinically important traumatic brain injury is approximately 1 percent for a child with at least one of these criteria.
If you notice any of the above mentioned symptoms or vomiting even if it is delayed by several hours consult your doc as a neuroimaging will be needed in that condition. No need to worry otherwise.
Apply Thrombophob gel over the area if there is any swelling.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards
Answered: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor