Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Child having urinary infection. Not cured by norfloxacin. What treatment should be done?

I am Madhu from India(hot, tropical climate now). My child 7 months, having urinalry infection. (Morganella Morganii and Enterococcus Faecalis ) = 10,000 colonies per ml. Currently we are administrating drug ( Norfloxacin for 7 days). Now need to go for another urine culture . Please let know if 10,000 colonies in babies are serious ?, how long it would stay ? Administered drug is helpful here ?, because she is still urinating. Please suggust some good practice and actions to take. I dont want my baby to take any injections at this stage for ill health. ;(
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  162
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
hello. As per your description, the given species of bacteria and 10,000 colonies per ml of urine, does not define your child having urinary tract infection. Atleast 1,00,000 colonies per ml of urine are required to diagnose child having urinary tract infection. If your child does not have other symptoms of UTI eg burning micturition, excessive crying ,fever etc ,these detected bacteria can be considered non pathogenic normal commensals and they are not at all serious and no need of treating this infection. You just have to ensure your baby takes in lots of fluids including breast feeding, so that it passes urine atleast 5 to 6 times per day. Thank you.
Answered: Mon, 2 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor