Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Child having undecended testes. What are treatment options?

Hi doctor, my son is 8 yrs. I have just found out that he has undecended testes. The scan result says; both testes are present in the inguinal canals and are undecended. The scrotum itself is empty. Both testes appear normal in size, shape and exhotexture. Vascular flow was seen within the left testes but none was detected in the right. There us no sonograghic evidence of associated inguinal hernia of fat/bowel. Please tell me what this all means and what surgical procedure my son is most likely to undertake & in this circumstances how many percent is he likely to have to return back to normal. Is it likely he will have testes cancer & not be able to have children in the future? I m very very concerned!
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  13
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
The name of the surgery is orichopexy. In it the surgeon will move the boy's testicles to his scrotum. The biggest difficulty in this surgery is maintaining a blood supply to the testes. The fact that your sons left testes has a good vascular flow is a good sign. But the fact that the right one has none, will lead to certain problems. A possible solution is that the surgeon cuts off certain blood vessels and reconnects them in an effort to provide a bloody supply to the testes.
Even so, I should tell you, the process isnt always successful.
As for your son's fertility, studies have shown that boys with bilateral undescended testicles have a lower fertility rate.
I hope this helped, wish your son all the best.
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor