Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Child having rash on groin, rectal area. No help with ointments. Cause, treatment?

My 4yr old son has had a rash on his groin and rectal area for 3 weeks now. It started with redness and a few spots and has developed into weeping raised and red larger areas at worst. Treatments so far have included Daktarin, Canestan, Baktroban and Lomexin creams but none seem to have stopped the rash. I have also used Bepanthen ointment to calm the skin when it starts to crack and weep - this seems to help that immediately but we cannot get rid of the rash. It seems to reduce and then all of a sudden flares up again - although I cannot pinpoint why. Dr is not sure if it is fungal or yeast ..... considering trying low potency topical steroid cream next. Any ideas what it is, what is causing it and what i can use to treat it effectively?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  86
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

Hope he is not on nappies anymore.

If he is off nappies, its more likely to be a fungal infection.
Though he was given 3 anti-fungal creams, if fungal infection is still suspected, a swab can be taken from that area and tested both for fungus and bacteria.
Depending on the result, he can be put on oral medications.

The local area has to be kept clean and dry.
Try to keep it open as much as possible. When needed a soft cotton underwear will do. No nappies should be used.
After stools, gently mop it off with wet tissue. Do not wipe it hard.
You may apply Zinc based barrier creams like Siloderm thrice a day for a week.
In the groin, instead of creams, you may apply canesten powder.

Its wise to rule out worm infestations that present with peri-anal itching and excoriations.
Mild steroids can be tried.
And oral zinc for about 2 to 3 weeks will help.

If nothing works, you must visit a dermatologist- who will guide you further.

Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your son good health.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor