Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Child having loose motions. Take Power gyl syrup?

hi doctor, My son is 5 years old and having loose motion since evening . he went 3-4 times from evening and his doctor in not in the city right now so i called the pharmacy and asked him to tell me gud medicine for this purpose and he suggest me Power Gyl syrup. I bought it but wants to know is it is for loose motion? my email id - YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  3603
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...i have gone through your post in which you have mentioned that your son is having loose motions & the pharmacist suggested you Powergyl syrup.
Powergyl syrup contains Metronidazole+ Norfloxacin, which are antibiotics against the organisms causing Gastroenteritis.
Your pharmacist has suggested this suspecting the same.
But, loose motion without fever, abdominal pain or blood tinged stool is most commonly caused by virus & antibiotic is of no use.
If he is having all these symptoms then Powergyl can be used.
And a better treatment would be to replenish the lost fluid by using ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) & continue simple, soft, non-spicy diet.
Wishing your son a speedy recovery.
Thanks & Take care.
Answered: Mon, 14 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor