Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child having itchy penis, pain after urination with blood traces. What could it be?

My 4 year old son has an itchy penis and is now complaining of it really hurting just after he finishes a wee. We also noticed a little bit of blood on his last wee. I thought there may be a little tear in the foreskin , that s where the blood is coming from but i am now doing some research and could it be a yeast infection or even uti? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  171
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear Kate,

It all depends on being able to differentiate between whether the blood is mixed in the urine or is being added from the outer side. You should try and retract the foreskin only if it is loose and examine it carefully, and also the underlying glans penis. If there are no visible marks or injuries, you should approach a doctor to get his urine tested. However, the complaint of itching goes more in favour of an external wound. Only after this will we be able to decide on the line of treatment. Yes, it can be a bladder infection (hemorrhagic cystitis), a fungal infection (though this is rare in males and more common to see in females) or even a frank urinary tract infection. If, however, there is no infection, we would need to conduct more tests to arrive at an alternative diagnosis.
Answered: Mon, 16 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor