Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child having glycine deficiency. How can it be successfully treated?

Hi. My son is turning 5 yrs in july. His peadiatrician says he has a glycine deficiency. Day dreams a lot, is a bit slow to respond to instructions, is afraid of the dark, and chews his clothing( sleeve/ collar). He also sumtimes wets his pants during the day, although toilet trained @ 3yrs. What is this and how can it be treated? What are the symptoms and how common is it. Will he outgrow it? How successful is treatment? Thanks so much.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  81
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I think it is glycine synthase deficiency.

These children presents with aggressive behavior, retardation, behavioral problems, and speech problems.

It is a genetic disorder involving the amino acid glycine which leads to brain damage by elevated glycine in the blood.

It is treated by avoiding glycine and glycine precursors containing diet if it is glycine synthase deficiency.

Consult the pediatrician for further advise.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Thu, 13 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor