Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child having fever, feels fatigues, headache, eats like crazy. Should i go for rheumatologist advice?

My 6yr old son was just referred to a rheumatologist for elevated wbc and high sed rate. We took him to our primary care physician because of fevers about every 6 weeks(give or take sometimes) since he was 2. He fatigues easily,complains of headaches and body aches. Eats like crazy but it is still so slender you can see every bone in his body. We made the appt for the rheumatologist but it s a few weeks away still. I was just curious what they would be looking for at this point.
Asked On : Fri, 4 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear user,

There are literally so many rheumatological illnesses in childhood, that it is impossible for me to predict what the specialist would be looking for. I guess he would do tests to rule out systemic onset juvenile chronic arthritis, but it seems unlikely that he has been having fevers for 4 years and he still does not have joint disease. Hence, I think it may be just "shooting in the dark" by his primary physician rather than something concrete. A good general pediatrician may help unravel the conundrum better than a specific specialist.

- Dr. Taher
Answered: Fri, 14 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor