Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Child having elevated Alk Phos in blood work. High fever, red bumps, general weakness, no appetite. Reason?

My son has an elevated Alk Phos on two consecutive tests, the first was 3954, the second was 3409. He had blood work done due to a high fever (104-105) and he became slightly dehydrated. The cause of the fever was never determined, but was assumed to be a virus. He had additional blood work that was off, but not as bad. He also has tiny dark red bumps appearing on his face and chin , which he recently started getting since the illness . It doesn t appear to be a rash - it s just bumps under the skin. He is 21 months old. He routinely is fatigued and some times just has no appetite , and is routinely constipated, despite a healthy diet. He also has a small bump on his neck of unknown origin. He typically (once or twice a month) will run low grade fevers do not require medication and only last a day. He was not on any medication other than motrin when his blood was tested. He will be retested in the coming weeks on his blood work. The doctor wanted to perform a CT scan , but my wife did not agree with injecting him with radiation at the time. Any guesses as to these symptoms. The doctor did mention cancer as a possibility.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Alkaline phosphatase is elevated in conditions involving bone and liver.

Bone problems like rickets and liver problems like hepatitis, biliary obstruction will lead to elevation of this enzyme in the blood.

Other investigations to be done like serum calcium, phosphorous, and ultrasound abdomen to be done to know the cause.

If you are scared of radiation, you can opt for other nonradiation investigations like ultrasound or MRI after discussing with the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Mon, 10 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor