Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Child having difficulty in distant vision. Will regular use of glasses normalize the power?

Hello Doctor, I have 7.5 year old son. Yesterday I had an appointment with doctor and I came to know that my son is not able to see at long distance. His power is : spherical +1.5 and cylindrical +2.5 in both eyes. Could you please let me know that how positive number in case of Myopia . Is it possible that if my son put glasses daily than the eyes will ok after few years. Thanks and Regards Sarveshwar
Asked On : Mon, 1 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Your son is having Hypermetropia and not myopia. His refractive error is spherical 1.5 and cylindrical 2.5. He his having hypermetropic astigmatism.
Hypermetropia is common in children because of small axial length of the eye ball, infact everyone is born with hypermetropia at birth. Hypermetropia is more common in children than myopia, and with growth of the eyeball many children may become normal without need for spectacles.
He has to wear specacles regularly and attend follow up for eye examination regularly once in 6 months as rapid changes in refractive power are known to occur in children because of rapid changes in the dimensions of the eye ball.
Chances for decrease in the refractive error are possible in your sons case.
Thank you
Answered: Thu, 25 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor