Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Child have loose tooth with a hole in the gums. Will the gums heal by itself?

My seven year old daughter has had a loose tooth for over two months. It is one of her top front teeth. When I looked in her mouth today, I was alarmed to see a 3-4mm hole in her gum above her loose tooth. When she wiggles her tooth, I can see what looks like maybe a broken root moving in and then sticking out her gum. Her grown up tooth has been growing behind the baby tooth for for several months. She is not in any pain. Will her gum heal by itself?
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  126
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
First of all let me inform you that the time of loosened tooth to be removed had passed already.
The permanent successor has already erupted palatally,this will result in malalignment of front teeth since your milk teeth has not yet removed.
The hole has appeared in gums due to resorption of root of milk tooth.
Please do visit your dentist and get the milk teeth removed as soon as possible.
Make sure that remaining milk teeth are shed at the appropriate time to help in eruption of permanent teeth in proper position.
Always maintain good oral hygiene.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand your daughter is facing problem with her front upper tooth. Since you mentioned she is seven years old and there is a permanent tooth erupting palatally [behind] the milk tooth ,it is considered normal. The hole you see is because the milk tooth is about to fall as it's roots are resorbing.There no need to panic. But it is better to see a dentist to remove the loosened tooth if the tooth is not falling off on its own.

I hope that answers your query.

Take Care
Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical history i suspect that your primary tooth of your child is shedding off and there is erruption of the permanent tooth palatally, the hole in the gum which you are mentioning is due to the resorption of the primary tooth.
There is no need to worry i would suggest you to visit the Dentist and better to get the loosened tooth removed and look if there is any malalignment caused due to erruption of the permanent tooth.
Maintain a good oral hygiene of your child.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

As you have mentioned your daughter is seven years old , i would like to inform you that its the eruption phase in childerns where permanent teeth replace the milk teeth.

so nothing to worry about , loose gums is due to loosening of milk tooth which will exfoliate in future and permanent tooth will replace it.

the gums will heal with time , i would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine.

Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor