Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Child has vomiting, fishy smelling stools, warm body. Should I go to the doctor?

My 4 year old daughter has been throwing up for the past 10 hours and she just went potty and her stool smelled like stale fish. She didn t eat anything with fish. No real fever either, she s just slightly warm. I have fluids with electrolytes, should I take her to the doctor or let this bug run its course while keeping a good eye on her?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  244
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.
Probably she is having viral diarrhea.
Avoid milk,fruits,juices and wheat products for the time being.
Give him pro-biotic syrup, zinc and ORS.
Take her to a doctor if she has dehydration,blood in stool, increasing lethargy or decreased urination.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nupur K's  Response

Welcome to HCM.

Your daughter is suffering. She should be clinically examined before she gets febrile. Her stools need to be examined ( routine and culture ), blood tests should be done. Keep her well hydrated with the electrolytes. She is suffering from GIT infection.

She needs symptomatic treatment, anti-diarrhoels and anti-emetics will be helpful. Get her diagnosed by a paediatrician and start the treatment.

Treatment will depend upon the severity of her condition, she may need antibiotics. Give her light food free of oil like porridge ( semi-solid ). Take care.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor