Child has swelling and bruising on the knuckle after an injury. Fracture or soft tissue injury?

My son was opening a door with a closed fist and someone pushed the door open from the other side which resulted in sharp force on the 2 middle knuckles of my sons hand. There is swelling and bruising over the 2 middle knuckles and he has difficulty making a fist or pushing the fingers backwards. Either move causes pain over the knuckle area. He can bend his fingers at the middle with no issues. Pain is isolated to the knuckles. Can this just be soft tissue injury or possible fracture?
Tue, 21 May 2013
Hi ! From your description it sounds as though it is a tendon injury.It is a possibility that your son's extensor tendon was avulsed from it's insertion, and took a fragment of bone with it. Generally speaking, these injuries should be immobilized for 6 weeks in slight hyperextension. X ray can rule out a fracture but in any case treatment is the same. take care.