Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Child has spastic diplegia. Can Semlarass surgery help?

Dear doctor, My son was diagnosed with spastic diplegia when he was one year old. now he is 5 years old and is able to walk with the help of two elbow crutches and flexible AFOs. Last year, he had undergone serial casting for three weeks which helped to reduce his spasticity very much. He also has a low muscle tone in his trunk. At present, we are in Europe. He has a wheelchair and special chair at home and school with abduction. He also wears a swash orthosis to avoid cross legging. We had taken an X ray of his hips and found that the hip dislocation is 20-25% on both legs.. We came to know about the surgical method called SEMLARASS developed by Dr. Deepak Sharan in India. Unfortunately, we couldn t consult any other doctors about this. What are the possibilities of betterment for my son if he undergoes this surgery?Is there any negative impacts for this? When the spasticity from the legs are removed through surgery, will it affect his sitting position, since he has a low tone in the trunk? I appreciate this group work to help common people to clarify their medical doubts. Thank you Prakrithi
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  129
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
This is a one step surgical modality under which 3-4 procedures are done.This is a process totally derived by a single person who is well accredited.It is only a culmination of different procedures done under one roof with minimal invasive measures.
Possibilities of improvement will only be ascertained by the doctor and his team.
His sitting position should not be affected that much.
I hope there aren't any negative impacts but a surgery always has its own set of complications however minor they maybe.If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.Hope this answers your query.Wishing your child a speedy recovery.Have a nice day
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor