Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Child has retraction pocket without cholesteatoma, hearing loss. Surgery ok?

My 11 year old son has a retraction pocket without a cholesteatoma . He has moderate hearing loss in that ear and mild loss in the other (which looks healthy). Our general ENT wants to replace his eardrum to make it safe but does not think it is going to improve his hearing. First, is it typical for a general ENT to perform this type of surgery? Second, is it typical for a general ENT to perform this type of surgery on a child? We live in Japan (with the US Military ) and our second opinion was at a Japanese pediatric ENT who told us my son s ear looked perfect ... no problem !! We are getting a 3rd opinion from another general ENT with the Navy tomorrow. There is a ear surgery specialist at the military hospital in Hawaii and we are not sure if we should try to push to get referred there. Thanks. H
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  96
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for your query.

Retraction pocket is fairly common and has been observed in about 25% of British children. Unless there is a cause for the retraction pocket I do not see any reason for surgery in the ear and would agree with the second opinion that you got.

In case of moderate hearing loss in the affected ear what has the doctor suggested. Will a hearing aid help the child? In case it does than it is advisable to get a hearing aid.

Surgery by an ENT surgeon will depend on the surgeon's expertise in that field. In case the surgeon has been doing such type of surgeries frequently than the surgeon has gathered expertise over the years in it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you have.

Wishing your son all the best...


Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor