Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Child has retracted ear drums, no relief with claritan. What should be done?

Hey there my two year old has been complaining about his ears for over a month, we took him to his doctor and they said his ear drums were retracted.( he had been sick with a cold/ small ear infection prior and was given antibiotics ) after he finished the meds we went back and he told us maybe it was allergies and we have been doing claritan for about 3 weeks and it has not gotten any better. What should I do now? I hate to keep going back to his doctor just to be told the same thing and I know it frustrates him! Thanks
Asked On : Wed, 31 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and i will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me tell you that what your baby is suffering from is very common and nothing to worry about. Just a few things which will guide you:

- since you have already taken anti biotics and that has not made your child better, it is better to just stop all anti- biotic so that we can avoid their side effects.

- you just continue an antihistamine syrup in consideration with your doctor

- do not put any ear drops and just treat symptomatically. When the infection gets fine your child will automatically improve.

- in this age group the ear canal is small and the eustachian tube defects are also common so do not worry. Also a retracted drum is common and will go away and become better in some time.

- try steam inhalation if possible with menthol twice a week

- if it does not improve then get an chest x ray and throat swab and get back to me with the report as even chest and throat infection can cause this.

Hope your doubts are clear

Hope your child gets well soon


Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 22 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor