Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Child has renal dilatation of kidney. Will he outgrow this?

Hi there In my third trimester (32 weeks), my baby was diagnosed with renal dilatation of left kidney (16mm) and right kidney (6mm). Two weeks after my son was born, an ultrasound scan showed that dilatation has gone down - on left kidney 10mm and right one 5.8mm Latest scan done (he was 11 weeks old) showed that the right kidney dilatation has gone completely down and it is well within the normal range, but the dilatation of the left kidney has gone up 25mm. Scan has also showed no blockage in the junction. He is now three months old, we had no infections but doctors now want me to start him on the antibiotics to prevent any infections. my Q s are: a) Since this is a very common with they boys,will my son be able to outgrow this or further management is needed ie surgery? b) How does infection start?Does it start inside the kidney or outside factors play the role? c) and what can I do to prevent the infection(apart from feeding my son antibiotics and killing all his friendly gut bacteria? ie (often nappy change etc) d)what would be the worst case scenario? ie loss of kidney function? i would rather try everything and leave the antibiotics as last resort, as scared that his immune system will get used to them and eventually stop responding to that particular antibiotics, as long treatment is necessarry (was told the course of 6months is neccessary before we see pediatric urologist ) thanks in advance for answer a.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  143
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Further management is required if renal dilatation does not subside.

Antibiotics are required to prevent infection.

Do not stop those antibiotics without doctors advise.

Further investigations like MCU etc are required to identify a cause for this like posterior urethral valves.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Take care.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Answered: Tue, 11 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor