Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Child has painful knot above temple, no injury, had similar knots in the past. Cause?

My 7 year old son has a nickel sized knot about an inch or so above his temple. It appeared suddenly today, he has not injured his head. It was bothering him and causing him some pain. He also had similar knots about a year ago and I was called to pick him up from school because the school nurse was concerned. We went to the doctor right away and he didn t seem concerned. I would just like to figure out the cause. If it doesn t go away within a certain amount of days should we see his doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear parent,

Thanks for the concern. Given the location and prior history of "knots", it is probably an enlarged lymph node, which can be caused by any surrounding scratch or infection, even in the scal if unnoticed. It shoudl gradually resolved as the other ones did; if not, then it would be prudent to have it cchecked out.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Fri, 13 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor