Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Child has pain in knee. Dragging feet when walking. Should I go to orthopedic doctor?

My 11-year-old son, who is it a bit gangly and awkward, yet skilled in martial arts is complaining of pain in the right front of his knee next to his patella (right leg). He first started complaining about the pain about a year ago after performing a twisting move in martial arts. The pain supposedly went away after a while but has been coming and going with increased activity. Lately it has been bothering him more frequently and with less activity. I should mention he has always dragged his feet when walking, and sometimes it seems his right foot turns in a bit when walking as well. I am planning to take him in to his doctor but should I go straight to an orthopedic doctor? Is it possible his growth and awkward walking is contributing to the problem or is this an injury that never healed?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The persistent pain in the knee joint that he is having is likely to be related to an internal injury to the structures of the knee joint. He needs to have an MRI scan of the area for a proper diagnosis. You should consult an orthopedician without delay.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor