Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Child has neck pain and stiffness, ear pain, runny nose. No fever. Need for concern?

hello doctor. my son is 7 years old & woke with neck pain & stiffness this morning. originally complained of ear pain. he had no fever, slight runny nose. a heating pad seemed to relieve it, but shortly after its removed the stiffness returned. now, the pain 7 stiffness are back. i rubbed some menthol on it & felt a small lump on his right side below the ear. i gave him ibupropen & the heat pack. he''s going to sleep. should i be concerned?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for placing your query here.
I can appreciate your concerns.
The boy seems to be having what is called "aquired torticollis of child hood"most likely due to viral myositis .
The lump below right ear appers to be inflammed lymph node & ear pain was referred pain only (that means no ear pathology)
Please continue to monitor him as he should improve in the next few days.
Continue ibuprofen in appropriate doses along with warm packs.
In case he develops giddiness,vomiting,fever or swallowing difficulty or does not improve in 48 hrs or so , please see a doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish him speedy recovery.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor