Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Child has lump at base of skull, hard, movable, hurts when pressed. What could it be?

I have recently noticed my 5 year old son has a lump at the base of his skull left side. It feels hard initially but moves around slightly when u press it he says it hurts a little bit and that he bumped head on the school gate accidentally ? I asked him when ,said a few weeks ago? And wasnt too sure ??he also has a lump in his neck but this has be confirmed by dr as a lymph node. What could the lump in on his head be ?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  473
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The bump at the base of the skull is looking like an inflamed lymph node as it is tender and movable.

There will be sub occipital lymph nodes at the base of the skull, and whenever there is a scalp infection or some systemic infections like viral and bacterial, they get inflamed and enlarged.

Scalp should be examined to see the presence of any local infections like bacterial or fungal.

Pyoderma or pustule lesions, folliculitis of scalp will lead to enlargement of lymph nodes in their draining area.

I advise you to consult your Pediatrician for the examination and for treatment with topical or oral antibiotics if required.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A lymph node could be one of the causes of lump at the base of the skull. Various points on physical examination (like attachment to skin or underlying structures, its consistency, matting) etc will help in arriving at a diagnosis.

With out a physical examination it is difficult to identify what could be the cause of this.

I request you to consult your doctor for the same.

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor