Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Child has low weight. Blood test shows high TSH. Taken iron syrup. How to reduce TSH level?

Hi Sir,My Son 7.2 years,past 1 year i notice my son weight only 18.6,then i under went blood test thyroid profile(TSH,FT4),the blood report shows that his TSH is high 10.15...Before the blood test he is in fasting,and he taking iron syrup past 2 weeks.
So Doctor can you advice me what it exactly.And how to reduce his TSH Level.
Best Regard
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for placing your query on HCM.
Your son's weight is on the 3rd centile of weight chart. This means only two normal boys out of 100 of his age will have weight lower than him.
More significant & worrying would be if he has lost any weight.
TSH is a hormone secreted from brain to stimulate thyroid gland .High TSH level simply means his thyroid is underactive and can be treated with thyroxin treatment in appropriate doses.
Normally, underactive thyroid does not cause low bodt weight.
Please consult your pediatrician who can prescribe thyroxine & investigate as required to look for causes of failing to gain weight.
Hope you find the information useful.
Best regards.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor