Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Child has loose stools. Heredity or intolerance or parasite?

My 18 month old daughter has lose stools all the time-like mashed potatoes. She has a bowl movement about 4-6 times a day. As she gets older the bigger the mess gets out her diapers. It is difficult to potty train her as it is so lose. I had taken her to a dr. but he did not want to do an allergy test and suggest no dairy but yogurt was ok. So she has been on soy milk for over 3 months but no changes. Cow milk makes her bowl movements stink, but i dont think its the root of the problem. She eats at least one banana a day, lots of fresh fruit, leafy greens etc. She was Breast fed til 11 months. Growing like a weed. If she eats some all bran muffin she gets super lose stools. Her dad and her adult sister both get lose bowl movements often from a variety of foods they eat. She has rarely had a nice playdough poo. she has been battling bum rash . Absoluty no fruit juice-way to acidic and causes bad rash too. Could it be hereditery or intolerance or parasite? Should i take her in to a dr again? Im not sure what to do as this is not nice for my daughter, myself and her caregivers.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

If this problem has been there for a long time and she is not growing well for her age, it well fits into chronic diarrhea and has to be investigated for various intolerances and malabsorption.

A systematic approach will be needed. She has to be examined fully and some blood and stool tests will be needed.

Till then try to reduce the fibre content in food. Give her plenty of yoghurt (not flavoured or the sweetened one). Give her rice based items, boiled potato, porridge made of sago/ rice etc, soy milk, chicken puree etc.
Avoid fruit juices, aerated drinks, cow`s milk and formula milk.

For her rash in her bums- use barrier creams like siloderm. Do not wipe. Just mop the area gently with wet cloth. Try to keep her off nappies for maximum part of the day.
If it does not heal, it will be very painful for her.

Approach your Pediatrician for a zinc supplement also.

Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your daughter good health.

Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
As your child is having loose stools of prolonged duration, it is better to evaluate thoroughly by doing stool examinations like stool routine examination, stool for culture and sensitivity, stool for reducing substances, stool for fat and pancreatic enzymes.
And her daily intake should be evaluated to know what type of food, quantity of her oral fluid intake.
Trial of lactose and or sucrose free diet can be offered to see the response.
So consult your Pediatrician and be in regular follow up for complete evaluation as this may take some time.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor