Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Child has loose motion and vomiting. Given Flagyl. What to do?

My 5.5 months old son is suffering from loose motion and vomiting off and on since last one month. He is fine 2-3 days in between and then having loose motion 6-7 days in a row which seems to be in control when I give him Flagyl syrup besides ORS according to my doctor s advice. And when the medicine is stopped it comes back again. 3 such cycles have repeated so far. I started giving him solids after first such loose motion. He has solids two times daily in the morning and in the afternoon, I have given him rice cereal and banana so far. I gave him goat milk besides breastfeeding till 2.5 months and then only goat milk, he was fine till 4.5months age. He takes 6-7 ounce of milk 4 times in 24 hours. Please let me know what can I do to stop his loose motion, am I doing something wrong?
Asked On : Sat, 29 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  187
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there,

If your child is suffering from loose motions for the past one month, he needs to be evaluated and worked up for chronic diarrhea. It means any diarrhea that persists for more than 14 days is considered as chronic diarrhea.

A child with diarrhea and vomiting for past one month is bound to lose weight and become susceptible to co morbid state.

Since the doctor prescribed Flagyl, it means that stool routine test must have done and infection suspected. But Flagyl cant be given for an indefinite period of time. So at this stage please get a stool culture done to know what organism is causing this diarrhea. It is also important to know if your child has any malabsorption disorder.

Also is breast milk not adequate ? Why is the child receiving both goat milk and breast feeds ? So keeping in view all this, I would like to get your child evaluated with stool routine, stool culture, complete blood count and assess for any signs of dehydration and correct the same. For this , 1 or 2 day stay in hospital will be the wise step forward.

Take care.
Answered: Sat, 29 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor