Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Child has loose motion. Rejecting food, vomiting. Should I visit hospital?

Dear Doctor, My 10 months girl has been having frequent lose motion for the last 72 or little more hours. She is rejecting all kinds of foods like cerelac, mashed rice etc. as a result of forceful feed, she vomited around 5 times. However, she is responding normal to continuous breastfeeding . Should I visit hospital? Please advise. Thank you!
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query,
your daughter is having acute gastroenteritis,the most important thing in this to maintain proper hydration so as to prevent dehydration.since she is accepting breast milk.continue with it,do not give semi solids forcibly.five her oral rehydration solution sip by sip after each stool.give can also give coconut water,rice water,
In case her symptoms does not improve,she becomes lethargic refuses to take anything.take her to pediatrician,
Your daughter will be fine.
God bless
Answered: Sun, 6 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response
Rejection of feeds is very common in a child with diarrhea. But these child usually take fluids normally or eagerly. Frequent loose motions not mixed with blood and vomiting suggests she is suffering from acute gastroenteritis. In most of the cases it is viral.
Now Its a good sign that she is responding normal to breastfeeding.
I will suggest you to give some antiemetic like ondensetron as if vomiting persists it may lead to dehydration.
Don't force for feeding but try to continue the feed.Give frequent breast feed with ORS in between.
Give her syrup zinc and probiotic like enterogermina.
Watch for urinary frequency( 4-6 times a day), lethargy or poor oral intake .
If you notice any of these consult your doctor immediately.
Answered: Sun, 6 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor