Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Child has hypoplastic testes. Done blood tests. Done surgery to correct undescended testicle. Worried

Hello Sir, My son is aged 12 years( completed )and his sexual organs growth is not upto his age. He was born with undescended testicle ( left ) and had undergone surgery at the age of 3 years for correction. I have done an Ultrasound scan with the result Hypoplastic Testes . Also I have done his blood test for hormones: The results are as under. 1. Testosterone ( Total ) : 0.03 Reference : 7-12 years : 0.03 -0.68 ng/mL, 13-17 years : 0.28-11.1 ng/mL 2. FSH : 1.00 : 1.4-18.1 mIU/mL 3. LH : 0.10 0.1-6.0mlU/mL 4. Prolactin : 5.23 2.0-18 ng/mL My worry is that Is he going to have an improvement in the testes and penis size ? and can have children? Kindly reply. Thanks Sastry KVS
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Thank you for placing your query on Health Care Magic
Firstly he has just hit that puberty age. We need to give him a little more time. Undescended testis always have the chance of being a little hypoplastic. The manouvere of bringeing them down also compromises on their vascularity and that may result in a bit of hypoplasia. In addition 3 years is a little late age for undergoing surgery for undescended testis. But this delay mostly hampers sperm production and not hormone production (these are the two main functions of testis). And in addition it was only on one side. Even one normally functioning testis is capable of taking care of hormone requirements and sperm production. So he should not have any problems in fertility. As for his current hormone levels they are on the lower edge of normal. But i think if you give him a little time then may reach normal. If he is obese for his age, then encourage him to lose weight, both exercise and healthy diet wise. Sometimes obesity can result in apparent short appearance of penis as it is buried in a pad of fat. It will be best to consult a pediatric surgeon and not worry too much at this time.
Hope that solves your query
God bless you
Answered: Tue, 12 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor