Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Child has gray matter heterotropia. Treatment?

Hi Doc. Am a zambian parent with two daughters. The younger one ia aged 1 year 8 months. She has feated 3 times in three months. A day ago, she was diagnosed of GRAY MATTER HETEROTOPIA. What could be the treatment for this condition? Is it genetically enherited?, will my daugher ever get well? At the moment she is being managed with Phenobarbiton, an anti- epileptic drug. How good is this drug in this condition. Please help. I feel for my dear daughter. Joseph Mutambo Zambia, Africa.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  165
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there.

I can understand your concern for your baby. It is important to know whether Gray Matter Heterotopia is an isolated finding in your child or part of any other abnormality.

Remember that Gray Matter Heterotopia can be part of syndromes as well and is even associated with maternal drug intake like probably alcohol.

The fits or convulsions which you mentioned are refractory or in other words usually do not repsond to treatment with drugs. It is a permanent damage in a segment of the brain, more precisely the cortex. Surgical intervention can be done in very resistant cases.

Overall prognosis is not good. Please ask your consultant to be as frank as possible and tell you completely what he feels about your baby after a complete head to toe assessment.

Take care.
Answered: Wed, 3 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor