Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Child has eye pain, watery eyes with yellowish discharge, glued shut in the morning, clogged nose. What could be wrong?

I am babysitting my bosses 2 year old daughter, she is complaining her eyes hurt. She has watery eyes with a yellowish discharge coming out often, very often. This morning one of her eyes was nearly glued shut. She has some coughing as well as a bit of a clogged nose but her nose isn t runny. What could be wrong with her? What can I do for her?
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  84
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear Jennary, The 2 year old child with watering ,yellowish discharge and now one eye nearly glued can be due to two condition. One if the child is suffering from any conjunctivitis or dacrocystitis due to nasolacrimal duct blockage.If the eyes are red and discharge is mucopurulent type with matting of lashes and duration is short period then she may be suffering from bacterial conjunctivitis.You should urgently see an ophthalmologist who can take a smear of the discharge and start on antibiotic.Watering , discharge and glued eye with often clogged nose on and off is due to dacrocystitis (inflamation of the nasolacrimal sac) due to blockage of nasolacrimal duct.From your history it look more like dacrocystitis.You need to consult an ophthalmologist who can evaluate properly. If it is dacrocystitis the child may need antibiotic, nasolacrimal area massage,probing under anesthesia if the massage fails and later on dacrocystorhinostomy.An ENT evaluation may also be required to look for the causes of nasolacrimal duct blockage like sinusitis,deviated nasal septum etc.As for now, I would advise you to inform the parents about this matter or take the child to your nearest ophthalmologist who can help her out...TC.. Dr Ajay Shankar Kar,Cornea consultant, Sankar foundation eye hospital,Visakhapatnam.
Answered: Thu, 31 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor