Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Child has cylindrical eyesight in both eyes due to small eye sockets. Will it subside as she grows?

hi Dr my kid is 4 yrs old she is having cylindrical eyesight of -3 in both eyes. i understood it is because of the irregular shape of the cornea (oval). is it possible that she is having a circular cornea but due to small eye socket the cornea is compressed and as she grows and the eye socket enlarges the cornea will get accommodated, and become circular.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Cylindrical eye sight means astigmatism , where the parallel rays of light from infinity will not come to point focus on the retina.
Astigmatism is fairly common refractive error seen in children accounting for about 20-30% of refractive errors in children.
Astigmatism is caused by either corneal causes where cornea is oval as you have mentioned or by lens causes. The refractive error will become stabilized once the growth of the eye ball stops by about 18-20 years.
It is unlikely that cornea can become circular again and all the astigmatism is corrected by itself, hence as of now your kid has to use corrective glasses regularly and have to get eye power check up once in 6 months or 1 year as the power keeps on varying in this growing age.
Thank you
Answered: Mon, 22 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor