Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Child has crusty spots with yellow puss on scalp. No change with prescribed shampoo. Cure?

Started looking like ringworm in child's scalp -6yr old female. Has evolved over a week and a half into very hard crusty spots with yellow puss as well. Hair is extremely matted down on crusty spots. Doctors office scraped it and sent it off but still no results. Growing concerned as its getting worse even with prescription shampoo.?? It also has an odor
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and I am so sorry about what is happening to your daughter.

From the description of these lesions, it sounds like impetigo which is a bacterial infection mostly caused by streptococci or staphylococci species.

They can occur on normal skin or areas with infections like fungal infections. From what your doctor prescribed, it seems he was managing for a non super-infected probably fungal infection.

Because it is getting worse, I will strongly suggest that you return to your doctor for review of treatment since the current treatment is not working very well.

I hope this addresses your problem and gives you some guidance.
if you need more information, please return to us and we shall be happy addressing your questions.
Answered: Sat, 25 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor