Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Child has cough. Diagnosed as asthma. Albuterol inhaler not helping. Cure?

My son has had a cough for a month or longer and day before yesterday it worsened. It was just mainly at night but now it is pretty much constant. We took him to his pediatrician yesterday and he said he thinks it s childhood asthma . He prescribed him an albuterol inhaler . We have given him 4 treatment so far and it doesn t seem to be helping all that much. Should we give it more time or take him to a specialist? Like I said it s pretty much constant and he coughs to the point of vomiting . He is 4 years old and does have allergies as well.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Child hood astham will need albuterol as a reliever but will also need budesonide inhaler as a controller.
Please exclude other causes of chronic cough like sinusistis and GERD.
It is better to consult a pulmonologist before labelling a child having asthma because asthma needs monitored and prolonged therapy.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response
If your child has been diagnosed for sure childhood asthma then I would suggest continue albuterol inhalers .But one has to be sure the medicine is administerd correctly in his case I guess he is taking through spacer and baby mask.Treatment of asthma is 2 pronged one is reliever which his Docter has given him albuterol and the other preventer which you will have to discuss with his Docter.Since his cough I worsening I.e he vomits after about of cough then maybe a short course of oral steroid may help.I think you will definitely need to discuss all these issues with his Docter also get your examined again if he doesn't seem to feel better.
Take care.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor