Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Child has continuous cough and cold, recurring ear pain due to fluid inside ear drum. What should be done?

My daughter 5 years has been suffering from cough and cold for the past 1 month. She had tonsils and adenoid surgery last year. Now 10 days back she had ear pain and she was given antibiotic monocef 100 for 1 week. After that she was ok for 2 days but again started complaining of ear pain. We went to ent doctor who told us that her eardrum is red and there is fluid inside. He is telling me to start another antibiotic for another 1 week. What to do .
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I understand your concerns on the fluid inside the ear and how it can bother you.

The first course of antibiotics should have actually caused good relief to your daughter and if properly treated the drum should not be red.
Since you do not have much relief and the drum is congested, i am guessing that the doctor is trying to give a stronger antibiotic for her.

From my side you may also add an antihistamine syrup for faster resolution of the fluid and also try steam inhalation
Do not worry as fluid in the ear is a common problem and will become better in a week or two

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 30 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor