Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Child has chalazion. Surgery recommended. Other treatment options?

My 3 year old son has had a chalazion for about 4 months, it is getting larger. He has seen a pediatric opthamologist who has recommended surgery. We initially declined, not because of the surgery itself but the fact that the Doctor says he will have to go under general anesthesiam, which is scary to us. Are there other treatment options before resorting to surgery?
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  248
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Chalazion is caused by inflammation and swelling of oil secreting gland on eyelid. The duct draining the oily secretion get blocked by hardened secretion. Further secretion of the gland accumulates and make the gland enlarged.

Sometimes small chalazion decreases spontaneously when the duct reopens. Hot compression may relieve small chalazion by reopening the duct. You may try this by wetting a clean and washed cloth in warm water and compressing her affected eyelid 3 to 4 times a day. Please clean your hand well with soap and water before the process or you could infect her eyes with another organism.

Chalazion, which does not regress but increase in size, need surgical removal. There is no other way to treat it.

The surgery is very minor one. General anesthesia is the choice in small kids to make them calm during procedure. Other option like local anesthesia is done in adult, but not possible for kids. The surgery is safe and has very few complications.
Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor