Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Child had put cotton bud in ear accidently. Had put some oil in ear, wax came out. Post shower, ear started bleeding. What should I do?

my daughter aged 14 months was accidently putting a cotton buds deep inside the ear she was crying so much and she sleeps . i checked that is listening to me i put little of oil in the ear and then tere waa little wax out.after having shower she was crying so much and there was blood coming out of the ear i got worried shoud i go to the emergency or go to pidiatrisian thanks a lot in advance
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  504
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello and most welcome to HCM,

First of all i want to say that i have went through your description over and over. I must say that your concern is genuine and as a parent, seeking immediate help is most important for caring your child.

Anyway, your daughter put cotton bud accidentally into her ear, now, i want to know if the cotton left inside or came out with it ?? Whatever be your answer, please let me explain both -

* If cotton bud left inside, it has to be removed or else it will cause infection

* If the bud is ok and cotton not left inside, get your child TM (tympanic membrane) checked by a local ENT specialist.

Now, you may ask me .."why" ???????

My answer would be -- because blood is coming out of the ear.. Now, what might cause that blood come out is, either it may be injury to EAM (External acoustic meatus) OR to the TM (may be perforation) as child TM is very prone to injury due to short and typical angulation of EAM compared to adult. If it is TM perforation also, no need to worry as TM heals soon, provided it is kept dry by protecting from water entry during bath and preventing any upper respiratory infection.

OK ...OK..., i think i should stop explaining more on it as you might start worrying to much.

Finally, my straight answer to your question... "shoud i go to the emergency or go to pediatrician"...?

Ans: To NONE of the above.

Please get your child checked straightly from your local ENT specialist and that too as soon as possible. Trust me..that would be the BEST.

With this i sincerely hope that i could at least ease your worry and guide your concern. I wish your daughter a very very early recovery and a very healthy life head.

Take care of yourself so that you can take of her.
Answered: Mon, 9 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor