Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Child had head injury after fall from height. Large skull bone gap. Which craniplasty procedure would be good?

Hi Doctor, This is wrt to my son Arkajit who underwent craniectomy 8 months back. He is now 3 years old. He sustained a head injury due to a fall, from about 15 feet high balcony. The surgery and post surgical recovery was uneventful and he is doing well now with no apparent neuro deficit. Now, since the skull bone gap is quite large comprising of the right parietal bone , it needs to be covered. We are thinking of doing a cranioplasty. Which cranioplasty procedeure would be good for him, considering his age? We would be thankful, if you let us know. Thanks, Tanmayee - Mother of the patient
Mon, 22 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi Tanmayee,

Thank you for your query.

I presume that you want to know which of the following substances to be used during the cranioplasty procedure:
1. Bone graft
2. Metal
3. Plastic

As Arkajit is a grwoing boy bone graft would be the ideal choice as both metal and plastic have their limitations. However, the size of repair and the adequate harvesting of the bone for the graft shall be a challenge for the neurosurgeon.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.


I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor