Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Child got cut near permanent front tooth gum. Bleeding stopped. Visit dentist?

My son was outside playing with a friend and was struck in the gum. There is a pretty good cut above his front tooth (this is a permanent tooth that is growing in, he is almost 8 years old) The tooth doesn't seem loose and the bleeding is stopped but the gum is cut pretty badly. Is it necessary to take him to a dentist immediately or see how it heals?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

As your history suggests that there is only gum injury then you can avoid going to the dentist.

but if you suspect any trauma to the tooth structure,you must keep a close watch on the concerned tooth ,as the teeth is still in development stages.

if you find any discoloration or associated pain,it is good to visit your dentist and get it evaluated clinically for its vitality.

for now you can just deb ride the wound and leave it to heal on its own.

Hope it helps.

take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Your child got a trauma near permanent errupting tooth,
I would suggest you to visit to a Pedodontist get a clinical evaluation done take an x-ray of the tooth to see whether it had caused any trauma to the errupting tooth.

At home take lukewarm saline gargles 3-4 times a day,
Apply Dologel oral ointment topically over the affected area.
Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily this will prevent infection and promote healing.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there ,

Any injury or cut to the gums heal by its own with time provided the injured is not infected .

healing also depends on the type and size of the cut . If the cut is small it will heal by its own with time but if the cut is severe , it needs attention.

severe laceration of the gingival tissue needs to be sutured in position which helps in quick healing , sutures are removed after 7 days.

I would suggest you to consult a dentist and get the clinical examination and evaluation done accordingly treatment can be carried out.

meantime,i would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine. which helps in giving soothing effect.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome,

The trauma caused to the newly erupted teeth has to be treated with great care.
Please do apply anaesthetic gel and rinse the area using povidine iodine and sodium hypochlorite solution.
Please do visit a dentist soon to rule out the chance of periapical infection/trauma to the tooth.
Take complete course of antibiotics too.
Please do not bite on hard objects with the involved tooth.
Take plenty of fluids and vitamin rich diet.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor