Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Child fell and hit her forehead, had a huge knot and big bruise. Given Motrin, but bruise persists. Solution?

Hi, Yesterday My 2 & a half year old daughter fell from a high chair and landed on her left side of her forehead . The floor is thick ceramic tiles. When I went to pick her up, I noticed that the spot on her head where she landed was a little indented, about a minute later, a huge knot and a big bruise had formed. I had put ice on the knot for about an hour and observed her for a while. After that she was acting fine, other than a few whinces from the pain. I gave her motrin to help with the pain and for the rest of the day she seemed pretty normal. This morning she woke up and the knot went down a little but the bruise is still there. She s been complaining the bump still hurts her and I am worried about any injuries that the fall may have caused internally such as internal bleeding . Should I take her to the emergency room to have it checked out, or am i overreacting? Please help! thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  271
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
I appreciate your concern.
fall in this age group is very common and there are always dangers of head injury.child has to be monitored for atleast 24hours for any warning signals as.seizures,loss of consciousness,vomiting.altered behaviour.
As mentioned by you she was wll after 24 hrs as no need to worry.soft tissue injuries will take few days to go.
Take care
God bless/
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman's  Response

Usually after any head injury, if there are no ear/nose bleeds or clear fluid draining from nose or seizures or altered consciousness, there is nothing much to worry.

Bump and bruise will happen at the site of injury. You were right in giving cold compresses and motrin.

But the indentation is not seen unless the underlying bone is injured.
So I would suggest you to see a doctor and get reassured.

Best wishes.
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor