Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Child faces attention issues, bad response to command, spoilt behaviour. Is it ADHD, schizophrenia or autism?

dear doctor, My son is of around 5 and half years old and he has development delay on speech and language. There are some other features that make psychiatrist feel that he may have ADHD/Schizophrenia/mild autism . There is no physical problem since birth his appearance is very normal but our main target is to diagnose his condition as the doctors has not till now STAMPED the real syndrome . The brief is below:--- He always makes some sort of sound whenever he is not busy in study/play/eat. Attention problem is there but if he wants he gives attention based on his will he imagines and smiles on things somewhere on the wall, mostly some cartoon character out of some shadow/light. he tries to speak fast and it seems he put more effort to speak. he is very found of eating and do whatever (speak/study/any command we give) we tell him if promised to give him the things he like to eat. he makes habit of something prior to doing something, e.g. before eating he touch his eye/ear/nose, switch off the lights before moving to other room, touch the first loaf of bread on the ground then eat etc. but these habits are not constant he keeps on changing the habit(sort of mania). The positive things about him, There is no physical or nuero problem(as per many nuero specialists but no CT-scan/ MRI done till now). Sleep, digestion all perfect physical appearance is very normal and he he very healthy kid. learning things is average if not excellent. Writing /drawing is also very well and according to line and space format(follow line/space discipline). yes there are complains from school about the behavior of inattention but if something interesting to him he will do it properly(with attention) and he does not want to sit without doing anything(but never aggressive or violent), be it writing/drawing/reading/ EATING. In my point of view as I am having more than 2 years of experience in exploring things for his problem, he always makes some sort of sound whenever he is not busy in study/play/eat. I think this could be strongly connected to Auditory processing disorder . So possibly he is making unusual sound to block the noise he is hearing and cannot process that noise. So I would like to ask where to go for developmental disorder diagnosis and treatment in INDIA? Thanks Shahzad Yusuf
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your concern
Your child seems to have mild ADHD...which might need behavioural therapy with drug therapy.
Mild autism cannot be ruled out without performing psychological tests.
The best centre would be NIMHANS or CMC Ranchi.Kindly get an auditory assessment.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.Hope this answers your query.Wishing your child a speedy recovery.Have a nice day.
Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor