Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Child ears got hurt on cleaning. Discharge of blood and pus. Something serious?

I was cleaning my daughters (3 yrs old) ears the other day and she flinched and it went to deep. she cried and complained that it hurt. after about 20 mins she no longer complained of it hurting until tonight. I woke her up from her afternoon nap and found her hair crusted to her ear with a little blood . I gently took a q- tip and cleaned just the outer parts of the ear and got a brownish yellow substance (blood and pus I m guessing) I feel horrible what can I do to make her feel better / is something seriously wrong?!
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  215
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
ENT Specialist 's  Response
It might shock you to know that the ear doesnt really need any cleaning. If at all there is lot of wax it has to be removed by a ENT specialist and not by you at home. Using a Q tip pushes the wax further and makes the situation worst. There are good chances that the ear will get infected or lead to injuries.If there is a block or pain or if the ear is showing some yellow discharge then I would advise you to visit the nearest ENT specialist. If there isnt any trouble with it then leave them alone it will settle down on its own.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Divya
Answered: Mon, 18 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor