Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with outer ear infection, has swollen outer canal with pus and abscess. Temporary relief with medicines. Help?

hello, my 3 yr old was seen @ dr and diagnosed with outer ear infection. she had a swollen outer ear canal and puss and blood drained from what looked like an absess. i told the dr that there were lumps almost and what looked like black dots or warts . after getting antibiotics she didn t complain for a while, but now the lumps and pain is back and the black dots have never gone away. almost looks like seed warts. any guess to what this is?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  7965
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I have understood your concerns regarding infection of the outer ear and the return of the pain and lumps.

I would normally ask for a culture and sensitivity test of the pus for a correct and directed treatment
Initially though if the swelling is reduced then we need to clean the canal to get a clear picture of the infection
The black dots can be anything from punctums, to blackheads to just follicles which have got infected. A proper diagnosis can be done only on examination

get an ENT consultation for the above

meanwhile do not meddle or pick the ears and keep them dry


Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 30 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor